Auto Direct - Full auto services in Tokyo, Japan. Assistance with any administration process.

Auto Direct

HOME > Service > Administration


Auto Direct Handles Everything

Auto Direct is a gone stop shoph for all of your automotive needs. Vehicle ownership is very complicated in Japan.
Auto Direct is here to assist you for all of the paperwork and headaches involved with vehicle ownership in Japan.

Change of Ownership

The process of changing the ownership of a vehicle in Japan is very complicated. Auto Direct will help you with the change of ownership paperwork so the only thing you need to do is sign off (dotted line) on the paperwork.

Documents needed from the purchaser

  1. Certificate of signature from Embassy (issued within three months)
  2. Power of attorney (we will supply the blank form) >
  3. Contact details of Parking space owner / agen

Documents needed from the seller

  1. Certificate of signature from Embassy
  2. Power of Attorney >
  3. Certificate of transfer >
  4. Vehicle registration certificate (shaken-sho)
  5. Compulsory Insurance Certificate
  6. Receipt of vehicle tax


There are three types of taxes that you pay when buying / owning a car in Japan

  1. Acquisition tax - This is paid at the time of purchase and is scaled according to the age of the car. The rate on new vehicles is 5%
  2. Vehicle Tax - This is an annual tax charged from April to April every year. You will receive an invoice to your home address. Vehicle tax is based on @the engine size of the vehicle as below.
    Engine Size Tax Fee
    ~ 1.5L 29,500
    ~ 2.0L 39,500
    ~ 2.5L 45,000
    ~ 3.0L 51,000
    ~ 3.5L 58,000
    ~ 4.0L 66,500
    ~ 4.5L 76,500
  3. Weight tax - This is charged when your vehicle is inspected for Shaken every 2 years.
    See the below.
    Vehicle Weight Tax Fee
    ~ 1 ton 16,400
    ~ 1.5 ton 24,600
    ~ 2 ton 32,800
    ~ 2.5 ton 41,000

Japanese Drivers License

If you are planning to own a vehicle in Japan, it is required by Japanese law that you also obtain a Japanese driver's license. If you have a drivers license from your home country, it is possible to have this transferred to a Japanese license. How easy it is to have it transferred depends on where you are from. We can assist you with this process.

Group A : U.K. / Australia / New Zealand / Iceland / Ireland / Italy / Holland / Greece / Sweden / Spain / Norway / Denmark / Finland / Portugal / Belgium/ Luxembourg
If you have a license from the above countries it is possible to have your license transferred to a Japanese one without taking a written or practical drivers test.

Group B : Germany / France / Switzerland
If you are from the above countries, you are allowed to drive without a Japanese license if you carry your original license and passport and an official translation of your license for one year from the day you entered Japan.

Group C : U.S.A / Canada / other countries that are not mentioned above
If you are from the above countries, you have to pass both a written & practical driving test. The examiners generally do not speak English and the practical test usually takes a few attempts to pass.

The Japan Automobile Federation (JAF) is able to arrange a transfar of certain countriesf driver's licence.

Contact us at 03-5573-8776 or or stop by our showroom for any questions. Directions

Inquiry via phone 03-5573-8776
Inquiry via e-mail

Auto Direct is a “ONE STOP SHOP” for all of your automotive requirements, providing all service in English.

#101 1-13-2 Higashi Azabu,
Minato-ku,Tokyo 106-0044
TEL 03-5573-8776
FAX 03-5573-8900

Shop Hours
10:00 -19:00 on Tuesday - Saturday
11:00 - 18:00 on Sundays
Closed: Mondays